http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/01/27/grammys-get-political-with-mass-wedding-to-support-same-sex-marriage/
http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/27/entertainment/la-et-ms-grammys-2014-queen-latifah-on-same-love-wedding-20140126
**** Thirty-three couples of mixed race, same gender, and conservative heterosexual shared what must have been a spectacular event. A mass wedding performed by Queen Latifah whom socially in 2012 shared that she was in a same gender relationship officiates the mass wedding. A magnificent chapel setting is staged as artists; Madonna, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis perform Same Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9ybs5L-bY
Society has evolved in which such an event causes minimal ridicule .
Some have argued that using such a socially acclaimed award ceremony as a political forum was not in good taste, but that opinion in our reality is the minority. Most had embraced and gave them the courage within themselves too not hide who they are. As Jamal Simms and Octavius Terry had expressed on an interview with Queen Latifah on her show they felt that this was the perfect time to make a statement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlMq-HTfdc
We have all come a long way from the " coming out of the closet" and the taboo of its a sin don't do that. I myself support not only the decisions that these couples made but also the forum in which they did. We are all about glitz and glammer in the US.


I personally had not heard about this and with two toddlers all that I usually watch are Leap Frog videos these days. However, there is very little surprise by this as Hollywood is notoriously liberal. The interesting thing is the coverage by Fox News, which is notoriously conservative. I tend to avoid Fox News due to right wing pleas, but to some extent I agree that an awards show is maybe not the best venue to push political agendas. I am not in the least surprised by it, however.
ReplyDelete